Saturday, April 24, 2010

Bad days, Religion and Random Thoughts

We all have bad days from time to time. We tend to bitch and moan about the terrible things that happened during our day.

We use phrases like “FML”, “My life sucks” and “things couldn’t get any worse” without thinking about the fact that we don’t have it so bad.

The next time you’re having a bad day, stop for a moment and be thankful for your “bad day.”

Somewhere tonight, someone’s loved one didn’t come home and they never will.

Someone got out of bed this morning feeling fine and didn’t make it to see the sun set.

Someone went for a doctor’s appointment to get a cough checked out and left the office knowing they would die.

Someone kissed his or her husband or wife or child goodbye for the day only to later learn it was forever.

Your day really wasn’t so bad now, was it?

Sometimes we all lose perspective on things. If we keep things in perspective, life is never all that bad.

New lessons from new people.

Quite a few new people have wandered into my life in the past few months. I don’t believe this is entirely random or for chance.

I reconnected with an old friend. We have talked a lot since January. We talked about toxic relationships and cutting the toxic people from our lives. I told her that I needed to meet some nice and genuine people.

She has succeeded at introducing me to people that are much better to have in my life. The people I have met are positive, morally sound and fun.

I have started to remember what life is supposed to be like and what fun really is. I know what I want out of life and I know what I deserve.

I will not settle for less.

Religion visits Irreverence.

An interesting observation I have on many of the new people I have started associating with.

Many of these people have strong religious convictions. They are not all of the same religion but many of them find strength in their faith. Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Buddhist and Muslim the religion doesn’t matter, the person does.

I find peace in talking to them and find religion not to be the purported “off-limits” topic so many people claim it to be.

The last religious person I tried to be friends with turned out to be a toxin of the worst kind; a preacher’s kid whose negativity was dragging me right down along with them. I turned to this person for advice on matters that I was incapable of solving on my own, for spiritual guidance at a time of need. This person became hypocritical and refused to help.

I cut that toxic relationship off immediately.

I took that experience and others before it and again decided religion was for superstitious old ladies, as Clint Eastwood said in Gran Torino.

I may be wrong. I can admit that. It works for the people I am meeting. I am not saying I am going to start being religious or going to church or anything like that. I am just going to keep a more open mind and listen more to what these people have to say.

It can’t hurt, right?

Random personal thoughts

I can’t believe how tired I have been. Once I catch up on my sleep I plan on reentering the social world. I only have two more days of work before my next day off. I need a break.

I think it is time to reenter the dating world too. I use my schedule as an excuse not to date. I need to stop doing that. Just because one person wouldn’t make time and would never have been willing to work around my schedule does not mean that everyone is like that.

It is time to stop letting those old excuses affect the present and future. I need to be willing to let someone prove that experience was the exception and not the rule.

This means that I am again willing to take a chance. Let’s do this one more time. What’s the worst thing that could happen?

I will never know if I don’t get off my ass and take a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment