Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bucket List Version 2.0

I think it is natural to think about the things you haven’t accomplished yet when reminded how short life is. Our time here is finite and we have no control over when that last grain of sand runs through the hourglass of life.

Recent events in other people’s lives have reminded me of my own list of things to do. I started this list last year after my mom died. Some of it will require further explanation and I will do that. I am referring to this list as “version 2.0” since it has changed a bit from inception.

Some people are familiar with different parts of the list. I don’t think anyone other than me knows it in its entirety. This list is by no means all-inclusive. Some things on the list I have done and want to do again. Others I have never done.

1) Drive Highway 61 from Minnesota to Louisiana.
2) Drive from Louisiana to my Dad’s house in California.
3) Drive from California to Alaska.
4) Drive from Alaska to Minnesota making sure to go through North Dakota.
5) Visit every state west of the Mississippi River that I have not been to yet.
6) Visit the Grand Canyon. Trek to the canyon floor.
7) Go to Yellowstone. Spend time seeing the sights.
8) See (and touch) a volcano.
9) See (and touch) a glacier.
10) A romantic dinner at Mancini’s.
11) The beach at sunset.
12) Surfing at Huntington Beach.
13) Hosting one of those fancy dinner parties.
14) Hosting a less formal party.
15) Learn to ice skate.
16) Go to a hockey game.
17) Go to Lambeau Field.
18) See that cherry on a spoon sculpture in person.
19) Get a tour of the Capitol (Dome too).
20) Drive an open wheel car.
21) Take a hot lap at Laguna Seca in a car that can handle it.
22) Get married. (In a more permanent manner this time).
23) Learn to play guitar. (I’m still not good so it still counts).
24) Relive the night/morning of the “free one.” There will be no explanation of this.
25) Go to Nashville. I loved that place.
26) Attend the Indy 500.
27) Go to a movie at a drive-in. Preferably with a hottie. :)
28) Return to Germany. See the stuff I missed the last time.
29) Concerts – The list is long. Some I have seen, others I have not.

I realize the list is long. I have left a lot of things off the list. I have other lists. Things I have stated I will do with specific people. Some things on this list may be things from their lists. It is my bucket list. I will put on it what I want.

Now for some explanations.

Items 1-4 were a part of my long fabled “Lap of America.” I was going to do that last summer. My ex-wife threw a monkey wrench in that plan. My boss had agreed to give me the time off to do it. A friend thought it was crazy, called it “gallivanting around the countryside.” Item 5 would have been covered by my route (except Hawaii). I think I could have managed 6, 8 and 9 as well.

Numbers 11 and 12 are things I have done before. I grew up there. I want to do it one more time. I am sure I would not surf well. It has been a long time. I still want to do it.

Lucky number 13. It is a little odd, but just something I want to do. Have friends over, everyone dressed up for some fancy dinner with wine. I see it on tv and in the movies. I’m not sure why, but I want to do it.

Number 19 is funny. I have been to the Capitol. I worked for a Member. I could not get into the building. I was denied my tour. It has been on the list ever since.

I loved Nashville so number 25 shouldn’t be a surprise. Very special memories. Where else can you see Shania Twain on a street corner in sweat pants? The hotel was incredible too. My room had a view of Honky Tonk row. The place had these glass elevators. I love those elevators to this day.

Germany. I lived there for two years. I spent most of that time drunk. Very drunk. I missed a lot of stuff. Didn’t have reason to do some of it. Some I was just too young to appreciate. I really want to go back. That explains number 28.

Finally, concerts at 29. There are so many great acts that I would like to see one more time. U2 tops the list. I tried to make plans to see them with someone but was shot down. My surgery would have complicated those plans anyway. I still want to see them again. Brad Paisley. I love his music. Another concert that I wanted to attend but things fell apart. Darius Rucker. I have seen him and really liked it. The same goes for Zac Brown Band. Lady Antebellum is high on the list. I have never seen them but want to badly. Tim McGraw. I saw him with my mom before she died. Restless Heart. I have wanted to see them for years. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Laugh at my list. I did.

Now I think I should get back to crossing shit off of it.

What’s next…

No comments:

Post a Comment